DIY Baby Barefoot sandals
These barefoot sandals are an inexpensive way to dress up your little diva for the summer time. At just over $1.00 for a pair you can craft enough to match every outfit. Barefoot sandals are perfect for little ones who are not yet walking. The color combinations are endless. We have found that 1” lace and 5/8th inch fold over elastic works best as both elastics are soft and comfortable on their soft skin. For the center flower you can use shabby flowers, silky satin flowers, or anything your creative heart desires. Dress them up even more by adding buttons or flat back pearls to the center.
How to make barefoot sandals:
Supplies needed include –
- Fold over elastic, or 1 inch lace
- Felt circles (we carry these in a variety of colors, not just white, to match almost any color you would like to make – makes a much more finished looking product!)
- Lighter or heat source
- Glue gun
- Flower embellishment of your choice (shabby flowers, satin mesh – we recommend not using any thing with little pieces, pearls or rhinestones, etc. on it for little ones that have figured out how to eat their feet! Best to go with the shabby flowers in these cases)
1. Cut your elastic. We recommend 8-9 inches for newborn – 6 months (smaller for preemies!!), and 11 inches for 6 months up. Of course every baby’s feet are different so if you have the foot there to wrap the elastic around and test it out, that is great, these are just “standard” sizes.
2. Heat seal the ends of your elastic to prevent fraying on the fold over (not necessary for the lace)
3. Start making a “figure 8” with your elastic
4. Glue the ends together while maintaining the 8 shape.
4. Make sure the loops are even, moving the “seam” to the center of the “8”, and place a tiny dab of glue in the center of your figure eight to hod the 8 shape.
4. Attach your flower embellishment with a little hot glue.
5. Flip the flower over and place a felt circle on the back, sandwiching the elastic (and the seam of the figure 8) in between the felt and the flower.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 for the second sandal
Barefoot sandals are so easy and fun to make! Here is an instructional video as well!